Re-kindling your Drawing Goals with Apple Ipad 2018 !

All these years, I've submerged myself into the world of data science. With abundance of data and leaps in computing technology, it's the field that has boomed immensely in this modern age. However, it also distanced me from the hobby I love the most, drawing and animation!
However, with 2019, I wanted to turn things around. It all started with my new year's resolution of drawing every week. (I know - you're thinking, wait, another one of those failed attempts to regain self-esteem at the start of the year?  - Trust me, it's what I thought too until I started to take it -week by week! ).
Step One was to upgrade my tool set. After much consideration, I picked up Apple's Ipad 2018, with the goal of digital sketching in mind. This was after thoroughly having considered alternatives such as –
Each one of the above tablets/computers had their own pros and cons. My decision in the end was solely based on the following parameters, in order of priority –
  1. Price
  2. Drawing capabilities (Pen pressure, lag, tilt etc.)
  3. Portability / Screen Size
  4. Versatility
  5. Great Apps for drawing and animation
  6. Customer Experience
Based on the above criteria, I found Ipad 2018 to win out based on every review/article I read. If I were to rate these on a scale of 1-5, 5 being the highest, following would be my rating –



  
  

  Ipad 2018
  

  Surface Pro 4
  

  Xp-pen Artist 12
  

  Wacom Cintiq Pro 13
  

  Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
  

  Price
  

  5
  

  3
  

  4
  

  2
  

  3
  

  Drawing capabilities
  

  5
  

  4
  

  5
  

  5
  

  4
  

  Portability
  

  5
  

  4
  

  3
  

  2
  

  4
  

  Versatility
  

  4
  

  5
  

  1
  

  1
  

  5
  

  Apps
  

  4
  

  4
  

  5*
  

  5*
  

  3
  

  Customer Experience
  

  5
  

  4
  

  4
  

  3
  

  3
  
*indicates no Apps of its own. Apps are as good as those present on Mac/PC being displayed

As you can see, the Ipad 2018 wins out on most factors. Please do bear in mind that these grades are from the perspective of a hobbyist artist – I did not need the professional drawing tablets to start with, and much preferred a portable, economic tablet which I could carry to coffee shops and just get to drawing. And, when not drawing, something that I could use as a note taking device (versatility) or an ebook reader during long travels. The Ipad 2018 (6th Generation) satisfied all these criteria beautifully, and hence was my go to choice!

 Step Two was to look for the right app. I started out with Autodesk Sketchbook , simply because it helps you draw with professional quality, and it COMPLETELY FREE!! What more could you possibly want? Here are some of my drawings using the app:


Fantasy Warrior
Itachi Uchiha
Goku Ultra Instinct













































As you can see, the app allows for some great artwork capabilities. Not to mention that the drawing experience was smooth as ever. It is worth mentioning here that I installed a TechArmour Screen protector with Matte Finish to make the drawing experience feel more paper-like! Even though there may be slight compromise in screen quality, I'd recommend it for those looking to use the ipad for sketching/note-taking purposes. If your primary goal is to watch movies, stay away from this! :D

That out of the way, I still felt restrained in some inexplicable way while using the app. I had heard great things about Procreate, so thought of giving it a go. And boy, there was no turning back!

Here are some of my results using Procreate:


Captain America

Iron Man

Trunks

Heidi, the girl from the alps!

Portrait of a friend

Papa Beaver and the kids!














































































































I hope you enjoyed these images and they inspire you to get cracking in your drawing journey as well! Looking forward to your artwork in the comments!


Comments